A few months ago, I posted about feeling "something" about to change. I've been in prayer and "research" mode since then. It's FUN to know that something HAS changed!
In a nutshell, I knew it was time to begin looking for an income. Mainly, to pay off our mortgage at warp-speed. We've got desires to support missionaries, and already do so, but what an amazing opportunity we could have to be able to give MORE? Or even allow a family back from the field on furlough to live, RENT-FREE, in our paid-off home while we're living in another part of the country? This is our FIRST goal, and I KNOW that I KNOW God will have other dreams for us. And so, I'm ready for the challenge!
It's a "thing" for lots of military spouses to represent Direct Sales companies, as we're always moving, and knowing that we'd probably have a regular "job" if we didn't up an move every 2-3 years. I have several friends who are involved in and rewarded well for representing many companies and selling their awesome products--Jamberry (nail decor), Young Living (essential oils), Do Terra (essential oils), Pampered Chef, Trades of Hope (accessories made by women around the world rescued from human trafficking), Origami Owl (jewelry), Mary Kay, Arbonne, Avon, Shaklee, Melaleuca, etc... Knowing people who sell these products has been helpful in my decision making process. I was able to let them know I was considering signing up as a consultant, and they were able to share their mission, and their companies' missions, as well.
It was a difficult choice to make. I truly know the heart of each of the consultants I spoke to. They're selling their products knowing that they truly are making a difference in the lives of their customers, the lives of the artisans producing their products, and/or the lives of the consultants who sign up under them to represent the various companies.
Ultimately, you'll know by my posts on Facebook that I chose to represent Rodan + Fields. There are many reasons I chose R+F, but below, you'll see a short outline of why I'm doing this at all, and why I chose them.
1) Dave Ramsey gave me great framework for being intentional about how I tell my money where to go. Since completing FPU less than three years ago, we’ve doubled our missions giving, paid off college debt, bought hubby's car for cash (ok it was only $5,000, but still!), maintained the new deck on our home in NC, replaced our driveway, put a new roof on our house, and maintained/fixed our planned and unexpected car needs. None of it hurt. If I can be so deliberate about how I save and spend, why not be just as intentional about adding more money to the toolbox? Back in August, I felt God releasing me to be creative in how to MAKE money, so that eventually I can be more generous LATER.
2) I can sell R+F products without keeping inventory, without having “shows,” and never touching anyone else’s money.
3) These products work, 60-day satisfaction guarantee, or 100% money back (customer pays return shipping). If I’m asking someone to spend a big chunk of change and the product doesn’t work for them, I won’t feel like I’ve made an enemy because they can get ALL of their money back, even if they return a nearly empty bottle. How awesome is that?
4) If I chose to work with another MLM company, selling jewelry, nail decor, home decor, kitchen tools… A person may enjoy purchasing something once, maybe twice, and feel like they’ve “helped” me… but if I sell something they use twice EVERY day and they LOVE it, they’ll come back to me in 2 months (products are packaged for 60-day supply) and happily order more. Some may even love the products enough to want to make a few extra bucks every month by selling them.
5) Jewelrey, pillows, cleaning products, kitchen gadgets. You can leave home without them. No one leaves home without their face. And if a person's skin is improving, people WILL notice.
6) If I change my mind about being a consultant, even I have a 60-day money back guarantee on the starter kit that I purchased. My starter kit was very affordable. It’s a very low risk, even if I walk away after 6 months. In the mean time, I've gotten my products at a 25% consultant discount. That's a GREAT deal.
7) These products truly change lives. The result of their investment in the skincare products, for some, are long-awaited afer many attempts and many wasted dollars. People who would never have left home (or at times not even come out of their bathroom) without makeup, are now comfortable showing their faces. Painful acne is gone. People with psoriasis and eczema are comfortable in their own skin. Scars from skin cancer excision are undetectable. Sun damage is reversed. I've read story after story of lives changed. This is so much deeper than vanity!
8) The business aspect also changes lives. So many consultants have their own testimonies of how working the business has been a blessing to them. Some people work it to help fund adoptions, dig themselves out of debt, or finally get to take a long-awaited vacation. Some people start non-profits, and even RETIRE from their job, because they make more money building their R+F business. I'm going to be honest. I would LOVE for R+F to be the only job I have for the rest of my life!
9) There is credibility in this business. The dermatologists that created the products have over 40 years of combined experience in the field. They are dedicated to making their products so good that you don't NEED a dermatologist.
10) I'm not reinventing the wheel. Though I consider myself a creative person, I don't need to come up with my own business plan, my own products, or my own web site. All of this is provided for me, so I can hit the ground running. The hobbies that I have (sewing, writing, teaching Sunday School, music) can still be hobbies that I enjoy, and I won't be suddenly obligated to do these things for "business."
11) It's FUN! Truly. I've stayed up late at night reading the educational files, product information, watching people post their success stories, questions, and simply soaking up all the excitement. There is such a thing as R+F insomnia. It's a good thing!
12) SOMEONE is going to buy these products. Why shouldn’t I be the one selling them?
So, there's my story. I'm learning from some great leaders, and I'm in for the ride of my life! And, my skin is getting better every day! I'd LOVE for you to join me, if you're at all up for a bit of adventure!